Hashiba-fudo-son was founded in the fourth year of Hoji era(760) in Tempyo period. In march of the first year of chokan(1163) the temple, which had belonged to the Hosso sect was reorganized by Kyoenbo into the Tendai sect and became a department of Sensoji temple.

According to tradition, a high priest created the principal image of Fudo-myoo, Roben-sojo(who is also known as the creator of the Daibutsu in Nara) as one of triplet-born images carved from same wood. One of Them has been preserved in Oyama temple of Soshu(present Kanagawa prefecture) and is familiar by the name of Oyama-Fudo.

Roben carved three identical images of Fudo-son, Leaving one of them to Oyama-dera, the second to himself and the third to his best disciple, Jakusho-shonin. In the forth year of Hoki(773), which was the Year Roben passed away, on his way to Kazusa(present Chiba prefecture) Jakusho happened to be here to be inspired by Buddha with the idea that this should be the place to enshrine the image. He constructed a small shrine, which he named Sunao-Fudo-son.

For 1,250 years local peasants have worshiped it and since the temple attained an image of Yakushi-Nyorai, which is supposed to be the creation of Eshin-sozu, it has also been called Sunao-Yakushi.

The present head-priest, Kamiya Ryoshu is the hundredth successor of Hashiba-Fudo-son.

The neighborhood of Tokyo Skytree.

Reference Website

Sumida River AsakusaSensoji Temple